Tuesday 6 April 2010

Kyle MacLachlan gets his finance lines wrong

For reasons quite unfathomable, Kyle MacLachlan - the actor who female readers may have watched in television's Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives - has been talking to the Telegraph about personal finance.

He says: "My first professional acting job earned me $550 – it was a Shakespeare festival in Oregon. I shared a house with three other people for $97 so we lived pretty well, all things considered. Nowadays, I'm much less of a spendthrift – I get it and spend it, so I have to keep working!"

I wouldn't expect a small screen American actor to know that the word 'spendthrift' means someone who is profligate, not parsimonious, but surely Telegraph sub-editors (even the ones now located in Australia to save costs) should know better?

It wasn't that long ago that the whole of the newspaper's staff received a Christmas bollocking on this very subject from associate editor, Simon Heffer. As the Heff lectured: "If you don't know what a word means it is generally a good idea not to use it until you have found out". He might have a point.

No comments: